Mixed Martial Arts, or MMA, is one of the fastest growing martial arts worldwide. It was originally based on the idea of taking the best techniques from various martial arts and merging them into a single dynamic system.
The techniques of MMA covers all three distinct phases of unarmed combat, namely stand up combat, clinch combat and ground combat. This is what makes MMA unique, as most traditional martial arts deal with only one phase of combat.
MMA utilizes techniques such as punches, kicks, knees, elbows, throws, clinch, takedowns, joint locks and chokes. Because of its vast array of techniques, a MMA practitioner can choose which phase of combat he wants to use in order to control and overcome his opponent.
WHY MIXED MARTIAL ARTS
- Deals with all phases and distances of combat.
- It has the largest arsenal of martial arts techniques.
- Only the best techniques from various martial arts are taught.
- Great cardio workout as MMA is an extremely fast paced martial art.
- Pad work tones muscles due to the resistance the partner offers.
- Relieve stress by hitting the pads, allowing the practitioner to practice the techniques with full power in a safe environment.
- Great for body coordination as MMA is a martial art that works all planes of movement.
- It is a basis for self-defense. The techniques are basic, effective and easy to learn with no flashy movements.
- Competitions. The practitioners are able to compete in various tournaments in Singapore or internationally.